The Thokozani Khupe-led MDC-T has recalled the Deputy Mayor of Harare along with 10 other councillors following Jacob’s Mafume of the MDC Alliance’s victory in mayoral elections held on 3 September this year.
Mafume garnered 19 votes against MDC-T’s Luckson Mukunguma who got 14 votes despite Khupe having earlier recalled several MDC Alliance MPs including the then mayor, Herbert Gomba.
The MDC Alliance nominated Mafume to run for the mayorship since he was formerly with PDP (People’s Democratic Party) which was led by Tendai Biti and technically means he cannot be recalled by Khupe.
The latest development may cripple Harare City Council’s operations, thus paving the way for the imposing of a Commission to run the affairs of the city.
Below are the 11 MDC Alliance councillors recalled by the judicially-created MDC-T:
- Makuwerere Lovemore of Ward 24
- Hadebe Gilbert of Ward 39
- Kufahakutizwi Munyaradzi of Ward 19
- Mapanzure Simon of Ward 34
- Chidhagu Charles of Ward 30
- Charumbira Keith of Ward 8
- Dhliwayo Steven of Ward 40
- Ndira Barnabas of Ward 21
- Runyowa Chihoma of Ward 29
- Nyatsuro Charles of Ward 6
- Mupamawonde Enoch of Ward 35 (Deputy Mayor)