High court ends detention of Ngadziore

High court ends detention of Ngadziore

ZINASU president Takudzwa Ngadziore was on Friday granted ZW$5000 bail when he appeared before High Court judge Justice Davison Foroma accused of participating in a demonstration with intent to promote public violence, breach of peace or bigotry.

Muchehiwa, was abducted, disappeared and tortured by some unidentified people in Bulawayo in July, who interrogated him to reveal the whereabouts of his relative, freelance journalist Mduduzi Mathuthu.

The 22 year-old Ngadziore was arrested on Friday 18 September 2020 and charged with contravening section 37(1)(b) of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act for allegedly participating in a public gathering with intent to promote public violence, breaches of peace or bigotry.

Prosecutors alleged that Ngadziore teamed up with 30 other unidentified people and gathered at some traffic lights located in Braeside suburb in Harare armed with placards and demonstrated against Impala Car Rental’s alleged use of its vehicles in the abduction ofMuchehiwa.

During the demonstration, prosecutors claimed that Ngadziore sang songs demeaning ZRP members.

Attempts by Ngadziore’s lawyer Webster Jiti of Zimbabwe Lawyers for Huma Rights to have the ZINASU leader released on bail were dismissed on Monday 21 September 2020 by Harare Magistrate Judith Taruvinga who ruled that if set free he was likely to commit similar offences.

Jiti then filed an appeal at High Court challenging Magistrate Taruvinga’s decision to deny Ngadziore bail, which was heard by
Justice Davison Foroma, who on Tuesday 6 October reserved his ruling on the student leader’s freedom bid.

On Friday 16 October 2020, Justice Foroma ordered that Ngadziore be released from Harare Remand Prison after imposing some stringent bail conditions including paying RTGS$5 000 bail, staying away from public gatherings, reporting once a week at Harare Central Police Station, keeping 500 metres away from Impala Car Rental premises, surrendering his passport and not to interfere with state witnesses.

Justice Foroma ordered Ngadziore not to participate in any public gathering, to surrender his passport and to report to the police every Friday as part of bail conditions.

Sunday could have marked 30 days in custody since Ngadziore was detained.

His incaceration attracted criticism from the opposition, students and the international community with Pan-Africanist Professor Patrick Lumumba pleading with President Emmersin Mnangagwa to release the youngman.